Thursday, March 17, 2016

Our new English language A matter of (dis)respect.

One of the nice things about blogging is that I get to go on about stuff and if you or anyone else doesn't like it, simply click and my ruminations are gone, kaput, off the screen. It is, of course, the same with any other part of social networking too. However, on such places as Face book and the like, the postings are sudden and take me by surprise. Occasionally it becomes unsettling, like the ridiculous bantering back and forth regarding political positions or candidates. I will not participate in that stuff. But then it comes to certain ways of verbal expression that has changed more and more of late, especially much to my surprise, among people of age. Apparently, class is no longer something to be desired. throughout my life there were certain words that belonged amongst a select group of acquaintances or on bathroom walls. More specifically, vulgarity. Yeah, I'm as guilty as many in telling of crude jokes or making a vulgar statement now and then but I've never been good at speaking vulgarity in groups, in front of women or children or generally in public at all.

)Wow! Sometimes I even surprise myself at how many words I use to make a point.)

Anyway, it appears certain rules of good taste, class or integrity no longer apply and those lines are blurred when posting on social sites. vulgarity is becoming more common by the day and seems to be accepted by parents and grandparents of their younger generations. I always believed that as a person of age it was my obligation to say when certain behaviour or speech was disturbing or inappropriate. Recently I have been told to mind my own business and to quit acting "holier than thou!" By the parent! The law against swearing in front of women and children was overturned in favor of free speech. Lately, I'm thinking certain free speech is disgusting.

Now I can understand why so many teachers complain about how disrespectful they are treated by parents.

No comments:

 
Authors Blogs Literature Blogs - Blog Top Sites Literature Blogs - Blog Top  Sites