Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Merry Christmas

Here it is, Christmas morning and, at least right here in river city, there is no snow. Global warming? A brighter sun? Simply the natural swing of climate due to the tides and volcano's and, of course the ever increasing gasses emitted from the rear ends of cattle. I wonder sometimes if it was the farts of dinosaurs that led to their eventual demise. But, perhaps I am drifting a bit off from the subject of the day: Christmas!

How are we celebrating this special Holy Day this year? Snow isn't really necessary is it? I mean, all those folks on the other side of the earth have sunny, hot and dry weather every year and they still have a good time. Not having to worry about driving through snow drifts or black ice or freezing water pipes or frost bit hands when shoveling, or worrying about the thickness of the ice under their fishing shanty. I think sometimes I must be some kind of a weirdo because I miss those sorts of things. I'm used to the challenges and adversity brought on by freezing temperatures and blowing snow. But, as I did last year, somehow I suffer through the mild weather. Yeah, I guess I'll make it alright.

Driving through the quiet early morning streets this morning was a shear delight, seeing so many homes lit by strings of colorful lights, nativity scenes and air filled figures and bags with candles running up the driveways lighting the way to welcoming hearts, a remarkable treat. Santa has long gone on to the next time zone, slipping down chimneys large and small to collect the edible treats of bribery and gratitude left for him by children and leave toys and other special things in exchange. All the while this chubby elf is spreading a message of charity, peace, happiness and comfort. Not overshadowing the true message but rather, in my opinion putting an exclamation point on it. Nothing wrong with the spirit of giving.

It's Christmas! Secret Santa's, wrapped surprises, twinkling lights, talking animals, family get togethers, egg nog, good food, Christmas carols, flying reindeer, a spirit of togetherness, Church services filled with joyful messages, children's eyes filled with wonder and amazement. What's not to like about that?

Not all of us have the same perspective about Christmas. But, I would like to join everyone in the celebration of goodness, peace, joy and hope that is connected with it. So, no matter who you are or what you believe, I wish you:

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

 
Authors Blogs Literature Blogs - Blog Top Sites Literature Blogs - Blog Top  Sites