Saturday, April 14, 2012

Life and toilet tissue

No where is the rule of life more apparent than in the bathroom!

Yeah, I know. It may sound a little goofy but that's the way I see it. There is a popular book out entitled: "Who Moved My Cheese". In the bathroom it is more acurately: "Who used the last of the tissue and didn't replace the roll?" Many people I have listened to spend a lot of time and effort in trying to blame bad stuff on somebody else. Who emptied the peanut butter jar and didn't tell anyone? Who drank the last drop of milk and put the empty carton back in the refrigerator? Who at the bank made a mistake and caused the overdraft in my account? It always seems to be someone elses fault. Or, rather maybe we always want it to be someone elses fault. Does that make it easier to accept? Is it that we believe if it was us we are less of a perfect person? Seldom is it more of a problem than in the bathroom. We simply don't want to be the blame for something so inconsiderate do we? Well, I'm sorry to break our bubble but as often as not, it's us!

The rule of life, as I see it, is: We are responsible for our own actions.

If we find someone else to blame we don't have to look at our own short comings. Many people are uncomfortable with any type of change in their lives. Many people are caught up so much in carrying on and making a living and do things on an as needed basis. Being busy and distracted with the next thing we have to do to get by allows for times when we forget to do something as mundane as replacing an empty roll of toilet tissue. Not on purpose of course, simply too distracted to realize it's empty in the first place. Drinking the loast drop of milk or using the last spoonful of peanut butter can be completely overlooked. I know, I've done those things. But, when I discover what I've done and have forgotten I was the last one to use those things, often the very first thing that goes through my mind is, "Who did this?" "Not me!"

Is that human nature or is that a human failing? It's actually the rule of life. Survival is based on self protection. Self protection is based on our knowledge of protecting ourselves from anything out of the norm. Being prepared is a rule I learned in scouting. Well, probably first from my folks and then reinforced by scouting. I learned it early. When I buy pencils or ink pens, I always buy two so if one doesn't work I've got a back up. For more reasons than I can explain I have issues with running out of things and not having a back up.

I was prepared when the peanut butter was empty. There was more in the cupboard. When the tissue was empty, there was more within reach, but the milk on the other hand, was without back up. I had to drink black coffee. Just wait til I find out who was responsible and they better not have moved my cheese if they know what's good for them. I mean like, it's breaking the rule of life isn't it?

No comments:

 
Authors Blogs Literature Blogs - Blog Top Sites Literature Blogs - Blog Top  Sites