Saturday, April 2, 2011

Spring, rabbits and hope

In the writing of "Joe's Story: The Book of a Lifetime" it was surprising to me how my emotions would be affected by the particular season in my life about which I was writing at the time. In winter I could sense the bitter cold and the clean smell of freshly fallen snow. In the fall it was the yellows, reds and browns of the leaves as the trees went to sleep. In the summer the refreshing breeze on a hot afternoon, laying on the beach watching the waves wash ashore in a park somewhere on Lake Michigan. Spring, for many reasons brought the most intense feelings I think. Probably because it brings with it the promise of a new beginning. Dark green blades of grass poke through the crust of winter decay, Robins and other song birds herald their arrival, Crocuses, Daffodils, Hyacinths and other hardy flowers forge through the cold earth and bring living color into the sullen gray and lifeless auburn's of winter hibernation with tulips not far behind. The garden plot slowly readies itself for seeding and fertilizing. Spring brings hope. Hope for a new tomorrow. Ya just gotta love that sorta thing! And, although they can often become voracious, unwelcome pests, my favorite sign of Spring is the annual dance of the rabbits. They gather everywhere, including my garden and the middle of my neighborhood roads, making driving in the predawn hours more than a bit of an obstacle course, as it was this morning. It goes without saying what they are looking for. Rabbits just seem to have fun no matter what they do. So, I say on this day that if you feel just a little under the weather you might want to consider concocting some sort of Spring dance of your own.(RE: Snoopy in the Peanuts Comic Strip) However, I would strongly suggest you not do it in the middle of the road, or in my garden either for that matter. Have a wonderful Spring and may it stretch throughout the entire year for you..............Joe (I have shared a lot of time with three friends the past week. They are not well, two are critically ill. I ask you to help me pray for them. They could sure use some encouragement about now. Thanks!)

No comments:

 
Authors Blogs Literature Blogs - Blog Top Sites Literature Blogs - Blog Top  Sites