Saturday, January 29, 2011

Riddle clue and a surprise gift

On Tuesday of this coming week another clue, clue #3 of the 30th annual Silver Treasure Hunt will be disclosed. I never know ahead of time which clue will bring the winner. And, even if the clue is needed. One year the winner came in the door with the medallion in hand the evening before the 2nd clue came out. The game goes on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and with that many people looking the outcome is always an open book. people from all walks of life are searching too. Last week a group of retired ladies entered my office, newspaper in hand, asking all sorts of questions rapid fire. I couldn't answer anything except do a little clarification of the rules but it was enjoyable for me to hear their pleasure with the hunt. The hunt is to educate about Carbon monoxide poisoning but I see no harm in all of us having fun while we are participating in it.

A couple of days ago I made a remarkable discovery: A computer memory stick that had been lost for a number of years. It contains a number of short stories and jingles I had written for my kids as they were growing up. When I moved my office there were boxes and boxes of records and computer accessories and myriads of unnecessary paperwork to sort and organize. For some reason a small file box made its way to the top corner edge of an inside office wall. Evidently it dropped into a small open area in between the wallboard and there it stayed until this week. The furnace that hangs from the ceiling above my office had to be serviced and the technician happened to break away a bit of the wall while he was climbing down, out fell the file box. Now, in the early morning hours when I can't sleep I am putting the finishing touches on those stories and jingles. It's fun and satisfying dealing with something I felt was lost forever.

Every day contains a gift. Sometimes the gift is hidden and unexpectedly turns up, then it's even richer. Like a cupcake with a surprise filling.

No comments:

 
Authors Blogs Literature Blogs - Blog Top Sites Literature Blogs - Blog Top  Sites