Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Feeding the poor

I wonder if someone needs another job?

I am the first to admit that I'm no Einstein, my writing shows that. The job I am inferring to right here would never be within my scope for consideration. But, I think someone else got the job for all the wrong reasons. I'm talking about the person in charge of how to feed the people in America, and more specifically the poor. With many of the statements I hear from these very smart and educated people, it makes me wonder what got them the job in the first place.

There are two situations that are being addressed by governmental and charity services:
The poor don't have enough food to eat.
And, a vast majority of the poor are overweight.
Are these two problems actually related? Ya think!
As I said, I'm not formally educated enough to be considered for a job overseeing such important stuff. I did, however grow up on the minimum staples of nourishment for sustaining life. Some might say we were poor. During that time two things were constant, somehow we had enough to eat and none of us were overweight. Although my parents made use of surplus food a couple times in an emergency the rest of the time it came from our own efforts. Meals were sometimes an adventure. So was the rest of life. In my home, the less governmental assistance, the better. School lunch wasn't as good as what my mom or dad packed in a paper bag. Usually if there was no sack lunch I went to the corner drugstore and bought a bit of candy. I didn't starve. Some of my friends came from large families of up to 9 kids. Although they were often in the same financial situation they didn't starve either. I learned at an early age that if I didn't eat what was on my plate I was hungry until the next meal. If I ate too much I felt bloated and lacked the energy to enjoy life. I learned that it was everyones responsibility to help those that couldn't help themselves. I wonder what the difference is between then and now?

In my uneducated but experienced life there are two things that usually caused excess weight: Eating too much and not enough exercise. (excluding specific health issues of course) When a family is receiving food supplementation from the government along with food cards and charitable food banks at home I see no reason to provide breakfast, lunch and dinner to their kids at school. I do see neglectful parents being prosecuted for not feeding and neglecting their own kids. That's not happening any time soon I'm afraid though.

To me, this begs the question, "Are we being groomed to be totally dependant upon the government for all means of sustenance in order to provide some egotistical elitist with a cushy, high paying, great benefit, powerful jobs? It's probably a simple matter of my lack of education in these matters. Maybe eating a lot and a lack of exercise doesn't cause obesity. I probably missed that part in school. The part where someone came into class and said, "Hi, I work for the government and I'm here to help feed you."

No comments:

 
Authors Blogs Literature Blogs - Blog Top Sites Literature Blogs - Blog Top  Sites