Thursday, December 2, 2010

Just another day in Michigan.

I am the first to admit that I do not have a huge speech vocabulary. I do, however have a vast vocabulary of understanding. In my writing and every day speech I probably work around a high school level. I've found that is where I am most comfortable. That's perfectly OK with me. I'm not out to make my mark as a word smith, public speaker or great orator of any measure. I'm simply an every day, almost invisible type of guy. But there are times when I feel I'm doing better in some ways than those that are way more educated than I am. Namely, those folks on TV and radio that give us the news. For the most part they are excellent in keeping me up to date on current events and weather. I am grateful for that and will continue to use them as well as the newspaper. I do have to take issue with their more than occasional misuse of superlative descriptive terms. RE: "Shocking, surging, jumping, leaping, shattering, terrible, incredible," you know, stuff like that.

This morning I listened as the local meteorologist described how a snow fall of 5 inches, "Shattered" the old record. What was the old record? "4.75 inches" In my limited vocabulary 1/4 inch of snow doesn't shatter anything. The other day gas prices were described as "surging" and "leaping" up in price. Although gas prices are extremely volatile, this particular increase was 2 cents, or less than one percent. A financial wizard was reporting on the huge increase in the price of gold one day. Gold is presently at around $1375 an ounce, not an insignificant piece of change by any means. But she described the increase of $1.60 as an "incredible, almost shocking" rise in value. I think you may be getting my point.

All I'm saying is that when someone is coming into my living room with the news of the day, I ask that they please do not try to sensationalise the trivial. Save it for the truly amazing stuff. Otherwise I am reminded of the kid that cried wolf all the time and when the wolf did come nobody paid attention. Give me the news straight, give me the facts and I can see for myself what is worthy of a scary or surprising term.

"There roads are covered with snow and ice today and hundreds of people are slipping and sliding all over the place almost making travel impossible." Hey! This is Michigan, what do you expect as far as the weather in December? We'll handle it! Where's the skis?.................Joe

No comments:

 
Authors Blogs Literature Blogs - Blog Top Sites Literature Blogs - Blog Top  Sites