Monday, March 29, 2010

How to write a story

If I want to be a writer I must have a thick skin! At least that's what was in a message I received over the weekend. Take criticism as a compliment, she says. Anyone taking enough time to comment, positive or negative must have found value in what he read. Use the criticism as a guide to improving your writing skills. Good advice! I'll do my best.

Another message offered this: If you write a story and expect people to read it all the way through you have to answer these questions; Who, what, why, where, how and when. Then you have to include several moments that bring the reader to moments of, "Oh really? No kidding? Oh my gosh! Wow! And a sense of mystery that ends with the reader saying, Holy Cow! I never saw that coming!

Truthfully, I believed I already had a thick skin, accepted criticism well, did my best to answer those questions and maintained an element of surprise in my stories. I have to examine myself closer. Evidently not everyone thinks I do. Paying close attention to this advice is critical because it's not me that needs to be satisfied here, it's the reader. I can write all day long but if nobody wants to read it, all I have at the end of the day is a pile of meaningless notes.

Pointing out once again that writing is only one of the steps towards being a writer. I don't exactly accept criticism as well as I thought either. But, I'm working on it. Thanks...........Joe
 
Authors Blogs Literature Blogs - Blog Top Sites Literature Blogs - Blog Top  Sites