Friday, August 26, 2011

Not Knowing

"You Don't Want To Know!"

Most of us have heard that statement when we've asked a sensitive question. I used to be impressed by the seeming concern of the person that wanted to save me from an unknown consequence of knowing the answer. They selflessly shielded me from awful, terrible, unspeakable disaster. "If I tell you I'll have to kill you." Is a similar term but is most often used in jest for some laughable situation. I'm beginning to think maybe both terms are just a laughable.

Something strange happens to someone and they die, "What happened?" we ask. "You don't want to know!"

Someone tells a tale of an encounter with aliens. "What did they look like?" we ask. "You don't want to Know!"

Our car breaks down, "How much will it cost to fix it?" we ask. "You don't want to know!"

Your teenage child returns home at 4am. "Where have you been?" we ask. "You really don't want to know!"

Politicians talk about sacrifice. "How much sacrifice?" We ask. Again, "You really, really don't want to know!"

Kind of reminds me of another old adage that I found not to be accurate. "What you don't know can't hurt you." Yeah, right! Where is this little conversation taking us?

"You Don't Want To Know!"....................Joe

No comments:

 
Authors Blogs Literature Blogs - Blog Top Sites Literature Blogs - Blog Top  Sites