Sunday, March 20, 2011

Great book quotations

In the writing of "Joe's Story: The Book of a Lifetime" The farthest thing from my mind was the possibility of someone using parts of it to quote and make a point. That's still true. I'm not known particularly well for making profound statements. Hopefully, I make sense most of the time though. And, of course most recordable quotes are taken from people who are in the public eye for one reason or another. After all, if you say something noteworthy there should be somebody there to hear it shouldn't there? I mean like otherwise you may just be making something up. Memorable quotes come from a variety of sources on a variety of subjects. I enjoy studying quotations and also the people that made them. Sometimes its the people that make the difference on whether the quote has any significance at all or is simply a series of mundane words. Here are a couple of my favorites:

On the intelligence of mankind: "Two things are infinite: The universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"................Albert Einstein

On the difficulty of understanding phobias: "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."............ Steven Wright

Putting aging into perspective: "When I was a boy, the dead sea was only sick."..............George Burns

On relationships between the sexes: "The only time a woman really succeeds in changing a man is when he's a baby....................Natalie Wood

Looking back on our childhood: "I knew I was an unwanted child when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio"...................Joan Rivers

Explaining changing life styles as an adult: "I used to be Snow White, but I drifted............Mae West

Constantly changing perceptions of modesty: "I never expected to see the day when girls would get sunburned in the places they do now.".........................Will Rogers

Interesting perspectives on living a healthy life: "Food is an important part of a healthy diet."...........Fran Lebowitz

Another health perspective: "Smoking kills! If you're killed, you've lost a very important part of your life." ..................Brooke Shields

Many quotations bear a sense of humor but not all.

Sometimes it's all about doing something: "The smallest deed is better than the grandest intention.".....................Roger Nash Baldwin

On being under scrutiny of the public eye: "You can only do so many interviews with the word 'controversial' to where you just naturally become fairly weary."......Pastor Rob Bell

I am fairly assured that my quotes won't be recorded for posterity any time in the near future. But, on the other hand maybe I'm wrong. That's just like being mistaken. We should maybe all think before we speak just in case................Joe

No comments:

 
Authors Blogs Literature Blogs - Blog Top Sites Literature Blogs - Blog Top  Sites