Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Book signings and speaking tours

"Joe's Story: The Book of a Lifetime" is an excellent read, mistakes and all. I felt a book signing was in order. I contacted a nationally known Book store and made the arrangements. The P.R. person was very friendly and cooperative. She described how we would go about advertising the event. I would conduct a short question and answer program concerning CO Poisoning, followed by a Meet The Author book signing with coffee and donuts. I was excited! I prepared a riddle contest, bought several hundred dollars worth of prizes, created posters, book marks and information pamphlets.

Two days before the book signing and program were scheduled I recieved a note from the Book Store P.R. person. She had decided to go on a weekend with her girlfriends to a small resort in the South. Also in her excitement she had forgotten to advertise the event anywhere, even on the stores website. I still went to the store at the agreed time, put up a small table and spoke with people as they entered the store. about a hundred or so books were sold in the five hours I sat there from people simply picking it up and reading it. I did my best to conduct the riddle contest and hand out the pamphlets about CO poisoning. Considering the circumstances I figured that was pretty good.

Sometimes we do all the right planning and make all the right arrangements but do to something out of our control it all turns to mud. That's life isn't it. We pack our stuff and move on and learn from the experience. If we don't learn from it we are doomed to repeat it. That's what I've been told. I learned fro the book signing. Joe's Story, even without a lot of hype, stands on its own merits as a good read. It's raining, that warm steady soaking Spring rain we so sorely need. Flowers to follow shortly. I'm lovin' it..............Joe

P.S. Spell check is still ot working. I'm doing my best but please forgive mistakes.

No comments:

 
Authors Blogs Literature Blogs - Blog Top Sites Literature Blogs - Blog Top  Sites