Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Book publishing, expect the unexpected

Joe's Story:The Book of a Lifetime has been in publication for almost 3 years now. It has been sold, shipped and read in every state and several other countries around the world. It's been quite a learning experience for me. I had no idea what to expect when, after 13 years of writing I held the first copy in my hands. Of course there were visions of huge royalty checks but that was only a dream for the most part. The primary purpose of writing Joe's Story in the first place was a hope of saving other people from the devastation that was brought upon my family and I as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning and the amnesia that followed. Being a published author opened up several venues for me and I had the opportunity to speak of carbon monoxide and it's ever present dangers in front of thousands of people. What an honor that has been. I learned another thing on Monday this week. Once a book is published and in print, expect the unexpected.

Monday morning, as I performed my usual ritual of formulating a plan of action for the week and determining my priorities the front door of my office opened and a pleasant looking couple came in. After a few words of greeting from me the man introduced himself and his wife, explained they were in Michigan from their home state of Tennessee and asked for a few minutes of my time. The story went like this: They had happened across the book, "Joe's Story" while they had been visiting in Florida on vacation. Their neighbor at the campground was an avid reader as is his wife and they struck up a conversation about exciting new books. "Joe's Story" was mentioned and when they got back home they ordered a copy from Amazon.com. After reading it and recognizing some health problems they were experiencing they decided to get a blood test for CO poisoning. The test showed elevated levels of CO, they had their furnace and hot water heater checked and found the water heater defective, the doctor said it may have saved their lives. They had come to say thanks and have me sign their copy of "Joe's Story." I was humbled and thankful to hear that they were going to be alright.

So, that's what I mean by, expect the unexpected. Once a book is in print it's always there.........Joe

No comments:

 
Authors Blogs Literature Blogs - Blog Top Sites Literature Blogs - Blog Top  Sites