Wednesday, February 13, 2013

State of The Union evaluation

I feel it is important to listen to our distinguished president on matters concerning the future direction of this great country. Much of what is said, both now and in the past by other presidents is pure politics and rhetoric but some stuff is relevant to our situation. This time the theme was overtly populist in my opinion. Appealing to what voters want to hear instead of what our actual needs are but, truthfully I expected that anyway. There's always some of that but usually from a first term president, not one who has nothing to gain. Interesting and enlightening regarding what our leader hopes to achieve whatever his motives may be. I trust he is earnest and hopefully wants what is best for all of us. We'll see won't we?

I do have one comment regarding his choice of words. And I am paraphrasing here because I can't remember exactly but the idea is actual. 'The answer lies not in big government but in a smaller, frugal, less intrusive and more efficient government.' A little later he said, 'we are going to spend even more money on government jobs programs (read that, a bigger government) And we are going to raise taxes. (Read that, more debt, we get less money in our pockets after a hard days work.) That sounds to me like the same policy of taxing and borrowing and making more people more dependant (and obligated) upon the government. Haven't we been doing that for the past 5 years already? Has it worked to get us out of the recession or has it lengthened it? I'm not a good economic or political analyst so I am only speculating. But, it sure made me think about it. Funny how that is all I came away with.

No comments:

 
Authors Blogs Literature Blogs - Blog Top Sites Literature Blogs - Blog Top  Sites