Thursday, September 22, 2011

Laughing and wigs

Occasionally, for special events, I will put on a wig. Definitely not for appearance sake but rather for shock or humor. I am well pleased with how the good Lord decided I should look. Besides, it's a whole lot easier to comb a bald head then a mop of hair. I possess an arsenal of varying types of hair pieces. From a Mohawk to surfer, I've got almost the entire spectrum covered. The response I receive is as diversified as my collection. It always ends up with a laugh though, either before or after I remove it. Classmates from years ago, the ones you only see every 5 years are the people who don't exactly know what to say. Some of the wigs look downright natural and they may wonder if I am using a hair growth product and yet others are so misshapen and fake looking they may wonder if I am still among the sane. Either way the reaction is worth the effort. I get a lot of questions about why I do it. Usually those asking the questions are laughing while they ask. That's why I wear them. We all need a laugh or two to break the ice sometimes. Somebody's got to do it.





I've spent plenty of time sitting around waiting for someone else to make a move or say something to get a conversation going. The suspense is nerve wracking, don't you agree? Not for everyone of course. Some of us are just naturally outgoing and spend a lot of time socializing. Not me. I live a somewhat restricted life. My gosh, I have a hard time recognizing my neighbors in a grocery store. So, when it comes time to socialize with people I haven't seen in a long time I figure at least I can bring a laugh or two with me. They enjoy it and I feel like I'm bringing something to the table. Because it's been so many years that I've been putting on those stupid wigs I'm now thinking about facial hair: fake mustaches and beards. In the costume shop the other day, while looking for something unusual for Halloween, I even saw a set of fake eyebrows so full you'd a thought they were separate wigs setting too low on your face. Now that was funny. I'd never in my lifetime wear them though. At least I don't think I would, but then again, I just wonder.

No comments:

 
Authors Blogs Literature Blogs - Blog Top Sites Literature Blogs - Blog Top  Sites