Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Loss of a long time mentor

I received a long distance phone call yesterday from the wife of a friend, he has passed away. The pancreatic cancer took him quickly. I felt her loss and sadness across the miles. They were quite the loving couple, a real pleasure to be around and inspiring in so many ways. When love between a man and woman is so pure and simple the pain runs deeper but the memories of the time they had together will be the salve towards healing.

My personal feelings are sadness and loss. However, his strength of conviction regarding moral integrity, loyalty, honesty, you know, the things we all wrestle with from time to time will never leave me. As a man I've looked to my mentors and heroes like my dad, uncles, brother and friends to be an anchor when the world seems to be turning upside down and against me. wise men like my friend Ralph, in their conviction allowed me to see myself through their eyes and if they believed in me, I trusted them enough to believe in myself in spite of ignorant criticism.

It is my habit to make sure that those friends whom I admire hear me say just how much I appreciate their wisdom and tutelage. By holding true, they help make the world a better place.

No comments:

 
Authors Blogs Literature Blogs - Blog Top Sites Literature Blogs - Blog Top  Sites