Thursday, November 15, 2012

Maturity and what to do with it.

Now that I'm beginning to grow up the expectations of maturity become more muddled than clear for me. As a man fully growed I'm expected to make rational decisions, speak slowly and eloquently, be in control of my fortune, be wise beyond my years, understand women, (well maybe not that so much), in other words: successfully operate in a reality based upon common sense. To tell the truth, I'm not yet finding that an easy task. That's where the muddled part comes in, the reality stuff. The reality that is supposed to come with maturity gets messed up big time with the dreams, ambitions and aspirations I still possess in my still youthful soul. I ask you: What am I to do with those yet unfulfilled dreams that my mind still craves to accomplish?

Some things are simply fact:
*I will never run a four minute mile.
*I will not swim across Lake Michigan.
*No mountain climbing either.
*Driving in NASCAR is so completely over.
*Standing alongside Mr. Universe in muscle competition won't happen.
*Setting another record for push-ups, chin-ups or sit-ups is definitely a no-go.
*Although the desire still remains, driving a motorcycle at 145 miles per hour happened for the last time four years ago. (I made a promise.)
*And then there is always the not having much hair anymore thing.

I have no regrets mind you, I am happy with this stage of my life. This is not a lament sort of thing. This is rather a celebration of the future that still remains ahead of me and the planning, adjustment, acceptance and work that it takes to use all the wisdom, experience and common sense I have accumulated to pull off the dreams still remaining. What? You say! Why do I pursue doing ambitious stuff both personal and business while so many of my peers have resigned themselves to rest and retirement?

Because I am still able and having a great deal of fun and satisfaction from the responsibility and adventure. Kind of like politicians but without the money and other perks.

No comments:

 
Authors Blogs Literature Blogs - Blog Top Sites Literature Blogs - Blog Top  Sites